Friday, February 18, 2011

Divine Mercy: A Book for Lent


Last year I bought the second book in the "Christ Our Lord" series by Anne Rice and read it during the Lenten period. I thought it was an appropriate title since it traced the life of Jesus as an adult. This year, I plan to buy "Divine Mercy: In My Soul" the "Diary of St. Maria Faustina Kowalska".

The Feast of the Divine Mercy was declared by the late Pope John-Paul II in the year 2000, the same day that St. Faustina was canonized. Divine Mercy Sunday falls on the first Sunday after Easter Sunday, and this year, JP2 will be beatified on that day by Pope Benedict XVI, which is the first milestone on the way to Sainthood.

Divine Mercy is just that - mercy from the divine, and St. Faustina's diary records the messages she received from Jesus. It is closely tied in with the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and those who are devoted to the Divine Mercy will receive the mercy of Him at the End Times.

It will surely make an interesting edition to my already over-flowing-library of books!!!

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend this book - it has colored my life since I read it!!! God was so generous with His grace to her and to us. My advice: take it slow, and read a few "passages" (each is numbered) at a time. She burned the first volumes so the beginning is a re-cap and doesn't always flow chronologically. Once you get past it it flows better. I will pray that you are blessed with this book like I was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got some information about the Divine Mercy devotion from our local Catholic shop. We've been saying the Chaplet at some pro-life prayer events, but I knew very little about it. I'll have to check out her diary too. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete